Why is proper design and installation so important?
Here are some FACTS about the importance of proper design installation of heating and air conditioning systems:*
Proper Equipment Sizing
- Oversized equipment increases energy use by 9%
- Oversized cooling equipment makes us feel cold and clammy
- Oversized equipment has more frequent maintenance problems and shorter equipment life
- Poor airflow produces a 10% increase in operating costs
- Poor airflow results in shorter equipment life
- Inadequate airflow results in poor comfort control
- Inadequate airflow results in lower indoor air quality
Air Conditioner and Heat Pump Refrigerant Charge
- About 40% of all systems have an improper refrigerant charge, which can cause breakdowns and decrease the life of cooling equipment.
- Leaks in the return ducts often bring in unfiltered and unconditioned air from attics, basements and crawl spaces
- Studies show that existing homes typically lose 35% of the system’s cooling capacity from duct leakage and thermal losses due to poorly insulated ducts
- Proper sealing and insulation will cut those losses in half
The combination of all of these facts would result in a system efficiency loss of approximately 40%.